How often should I get my wiring checked?

The Electrical Safety First (formerly Electrical Safety Council) recommends that an Electrical Installation Condition report is carried out every 10 years on residential accommodation; and every five years — or at change of tenancy — for rental accommodation, as electrical installations can deteriorate with age. By law, electrical installations and wiring need to be safe in all rental properties.

What is Part P?

Part P logoPart P of the Building Regulations, was introduced by the Government on 1st January 2005 with the aim of further enhancing the protection of homeowners and reducing the risk of electric shock when using electricity. The law which applies to England and Wales aims to improve electrical safety in the home and prevent the number of accidents, which are caused by faulty electrical work. This brings electrical work in the home under statutory control along with other types of building work, such as gas installations
The law requires an electrician registered with a government-approved scheme, such as the one operated by NICEIC, to carry out most electrical work in the home. After completion of any work your NICEIC registered electrician will issue you with an electrical safety certificate and a Compliance Certificate to confirm it meets the requirements of the Building Regulations.

You can only carry out electrical work yourself if you can inspect and test that it is safe for use. To comply with the law you must notify your local building control office before you begin any work and pay the appropriate fee for them to inspect the work.

What will happen if I don’t follow the regulations?

You will have no certificate to prove that the work has been carried out by a registered electrician, or that the work performed has been passed as safe by your local building control.

It may be problematic when it comes to selling your home if you cannot produce evidence that electrical work has been carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations.

It is a criminal offence to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations, with a maximum fine of £5,000.

Your local building control may insist that you re-do the electrical work.



Source : Part P Factsheet on www.niceic.org.uk
Electrical Safety First (formerly Electrical Safety Council) www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk